When it comes to travelling, each employee is responsible for his or her own safety. We recommend that staff follow some basic security measures outlined below before embarking upon new car sharing arrangements, especially where you do not already know your journey partner:
- Do not exchange home addresses with your travel companion before you meet them. You may prefer to always meet at a nearby location, away from your home.
- Always arrange to meet for the first time in a public place; perhaps arrange to have lunch together at work.
- Before you first travel with someone you didn't previously know, tell a colleague, friend or family member the name of the person you're planning to travel with and when and where you're going.
- You are under no obligation to go ahead with any shared journey.
- Show each other your staff ID badges (or other proof of identity) when you meet for the first time.
- Make sure you let your journey partner know if you cannot make an arranged journey or if you are going to be delayed.
- Never use a mobile phone whilst driving.
- It is your responsibility to check that the person you are sharing with has all the legal driving documents, such as driving licence, car insurance, MOT and car tax.
- If you have any doubts about your travelling companion, for any reason, you should not travel with them.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your local Car Share Administrator.